Managing Hyperacidity In Ayurveda
Stressful lifestyles and irregular diets make people prone to ailments compromising the quality of life. One such condition is Hyperacidity. It means hydrochloric acid is released in excess in the stomach which leads to ulcers.
Causes of Hyperacidity
Eating spicy, sour, stale foods, fast foods, fizzy drinks and heavy meals
Specific seasons such as the rainy and autumn season.
Untimely eating habits
Eating too much of pulses
Anger, anxiety and depression
Eating white flour products frequently
Eating leafy vegetables in surplus quantity
Sleeping immediately after meals
Excessive drinking of water
Long working hours disturbing night sleep
Intake of nicotine and caffeine products
Foods that are high in fats such as chocolates
Skipping breakfast and keeping stomach empty for longer periods of time
Pregnancy, obesity, aging and junk food eating also causes acidity.
Symptoms of Hyperacidity
Heavy feel in the body
Burning sensation behind the sternum and in the throat
Upper abdomen pain after meal
Loss of desire for 1 or 2 days
Sour belching or heartburn
Burping or belching
Blood in stool or blood vomiting
Sudden development of anemia
Types of Hyperacidity
1. One has the symptoms of upper gastro where the intestinal tract including vomiting tendency, acidic feel, bad taste, salivation, pain after meal or burning sensation in throat and chest in association with slight headaches and vomiting of acidic yellowish contents.
2. The other type of symptoms refers to lower part of gastrointestinal tract, and this causes irregular, loose motion, skin rashes, delusion, thirst, burning sensation, giddiness, fainting, giddiness, pale body coloration, sweating and allergic patches.
Diet Recommendation for Hyperacidity
The diet should have little old rice and milk with sugar. Other substances recommended are wheat, barley, cucumber, rice that is 12 months old, pumpkin, cow’s milk, bitter gourd, pomegranate and green banana.
Sleep after 2 to 3 hours after dinner so that you are healthy. Include essential fibers to aid digestion. Take balanced diet and do not have completely fewer spicy foods. Eat small meals to help digestion.
Avoid Foods rich in oils and fats. Eating fried, junk or fatty foods and excessive chocolates is also not right. Intake of coffee and tea in too many quantities cause hyperacidity. Also avoid alcohol and smoking as they contain heavy acidic contents. Keep away from tamarinds, pickles, vinegar, etc. Consuming bakery or white flour products, taking chilled drinks or frozen foods and also eating before the earlier meal has not properly digested, all these must be avoided.
Lifestyle Changes for Hyperacidity
Factors responsible for balanced digestion and some tips to improve digestion:
Food must be fresh at least seasonal foods
Eat feeling the taste so that the salivation increases and helps in digestion
Avoid sleeping after lunch or dinner
Walk in morning and evening for 15 minutes
Control anger, anxiety and mess your feelings
Eat small meals at frequent intervals
Keep your bowels clean
Eating with distractions such as driving, reading books, phones, computers or gaming devices negates the digestive process balance.
Eating is best between 10 am and 2 pm so that the digestion is effective.
Avoid working late night as your sleep becomes lesser and this will worsen hyperacidity
Home Remedies for Hyperacidity
Drink coconut water 200 to 500 ml and avert acidity.
Drink coriander and cumin tea.
Mix rice corn gruel, honey and raw sugar equally. Take this twice every day such that one dose is 100 to 200 g. This will protect the stomach mucous lining.
Take liquorice tea
Chew few tulsi or holy basil leaves to avert acidic reflux
Eat cucumber, papaya and watermelon. Take in average quantities
Mint juice containing peppermint oil is good for curing acidity. It is best to reduce gas formation after the meal.
Chew saunf (fennel seeds) after meals.
Treatment for Hyperacidity
1. Amla – The best recommended herb for hyperacidity treatment is Amla. It may be taken with warm milk or can be eaten with vegetables so that the acidity is reduced.
2. Coriander – This herb is used in culinary, and spice coriander is equally effective treatment. You can also take coriander juice with buttermilk and keep away from hyperacidity.
3. Mint – The Mint has peppermint, basil and spearmint that their natural oils give a great relief to heartburn symptoms.
4. Liquorice – Prepare an herbal tea offering relief from burning pain and acid reflux symptoms.
5. Haritaki & Bhringraja – Haritaki and Bhringraja powder taken in equal quantity is recommended. 3 to 6 gms dose taken with 12 gms of jaggery twice/day with warm water helps Acid Reflux and Heartburn.
6. Aloe vera – Juice or gel of aloe vera is also helpful, but peptic ulcer patients should avoid it.
Exercise for Hyperacidity
The morning walk is good for your health and keeps acidity under control. Walk for 2 kilometers in the morning.
Depression and anxiety cause acidity disease so live a stress-free life for happy living. Meditation and yoga help patients to overcome daily stress. Some useful yoga postures are – Surya Namaskar, Vajrasana, Sarvangasana, Paschimottanasan, Bhujangasan, Nakasana and Bhastrika Pranayam.
It is best to manage hyperacidity using Ayurveda practices. These are simple and best when followed with diligence.